Re: [Traverso-devel] Traverso audio backend & custom audio app

From: Niklas Klügel
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Traverso audio backend & custom audio app
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:39:02 +0100

Hey!

I'm not familiar with sequencer engines, and neither with layer- based sample
editing, would be great if you could elaborate a little on it :)

well, maybe it's more useful if i explain how I work on my own music projects: after recording samples by recording real or synthesized instruments, I start rearranging the basic song i created by editing most samples tonally as well as cutting the material up to create different measures or applying those samples to a new tempo. it's like remixing the song. i usually rely on heavy cut and paste editing down to 1/256 where you can actually
change the waveforms of i.e. drum or synth samples. basically, that's
nothing fancy, i currently use ableton live for that. but since i want to move my whlo studio to a linux based DAW, i am desperately in need of a tool where i can edit sound in such an exact way and looking at the current recording applications for linux, none of them is _geared_ towards
such "sophisticated" editing. to give you an idea how this sounds:
home.in.tum.de/~kluegel/theships.mp3 (just drums, bass and a synth).

even on live the process of editing like this is awkward because of the sloppy way you can
move around in the arrangement view, but thats something different.
the main misconception with current audio applications (for my way of creating music) is that they are designed to do everything in realtime - dont get me wrong, when i am jamming with friends,
doing a live gig or when i am
recording a guitar-lick that is supposed to go through an f/x chain, this is awesome -
but when you are doing more sophisticated editing you are forced to rely
on f/x envelopes and realtime-scopes only. there is no way to get good/relyable visual feedback.
and more importantly: you get out of processing power very easily.

i guess i am a bit extreme but otherwise some friends of mine work in a similar way on their material, so i might not be the only one in need of such a way of audio editing.

regarding the layers:
my idea is to have a track consisting of several layers in a hierarchical dependency. each layer is can either contain a sample or be can be the "sum" of all lower layers. so, say you have a drum and a violin sample stacked, the sum of both samples would be rendered into the upper layer - in this case what you will hear as single/complete track. layers can be stacked in an additive way but nothing would speak against subtracting two layers in the
time or - if you want to be fancy - frequency domain.
f/x should be added to each layer independently and be rendered/ consolidated to the internal sound buffers buttom-up through the hierarchy of layers once. envelopes and segments created by cut/copy and paste should be preserved. all modifications to the layers should be done on the rendered audio-buffer on the same layer the modifications are done. this way, adding a sample-layer below an edited layer will be modified in the same way the top hierachy is edited. e.g.: adding another sample below a sliced and rearranged drum-beat will result in both samples being sliced and rearranged in the same maner the drum-beat was at the hierarchy of the origenal drum-beat-layer.

the concept isnt entirely new but i guess it is interesting from both merely academic sound-design
as well as practical music\production-views.

regarding your hint: i think i am able to add this functionality to traverso on my own to a certain degree but i originally thought it would break too much with the way how you developers intended traverso to be, even while preserving the contextural audio- editing idea.

thanks for your reply!

so long...
Niklas