Re: [Traverso-devel] Some confirmations for the manual

From: Nicola Doebelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Some confirmations for the manual
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:55:26 +0100

Am Montag, 12. Februar 2007 18:26 schrieb Remon:
> The main and only point imho to save to 16 bit is saving lots of disk
> space, when using the ALSA driver I would be able to let Traverso inform
> the user the bit depth as used by the hardware, with jackd it's even not
> possible.
>
> So a solution would be:
> If alsa driver is used, get the bitdepth from the driver, and use that as
> the saving format, unless the user explicitely requested else.
> When using the jack driver, assume float format by default unless the user
> explicitely requested else.
> How about that ?

I see, there's obviously more abstraction between the hardware and traverso
than I thought. If the data is coming as float values it makes indeed no
sense to convert it back to integer. I don't think it is worth implementing
an extra solution for ALSA, after all there are worse things than too high
quality...

> > It's actually quite common to record on one system, and mix on another
> > one. I could for example record in Traverso, and find out later that for
> > mixing I need Samplitude. (Shouldn't happen, but well... we're both
> > realists...)
>
> Well, I assume you pipe the recorded material from the original application
> to another one, by using e.g. jackd.
> You don't wanna import all the audiofiles by hand into another application,
> right ? That's a waste of time!

Still not what I had in mind. Sometimes bands record in studio A, because it
has a great sounding room. They burn the audio files on DVD and go to studio
B, because it has an experienced mixing engineer. Mastering is done in studio
C, which is specialized on mastering.

In pop music this is usually not a problem because ProTools is industry
standard. You can even burn the entire session on a DVD and take it to
another studio. It will probably also have ProTools and be able to open your
session.

But if you record a concert on a mobile ProTools rig, maybe you want to mix it
on a different computer in Samplitude. So you copy the wave files to the
other computer and import them into Samplitude. That's nothing unusual AFAIK.

Nic