Re: [Traverso-devel] Cursors

From: Ingmar Vanhassel
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Cursors
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:49:28 +0200

Short summary: I'd say most of your changes are great, though I feel the
work/play cursor part needs a tiny bit of work/discussion.

Long rambling:

> So, let's just see how this feels in the long term, and see how the others
> like the feel of these actions!

I'll throw in my 2 cents now. Feel free to ... ehm ... catch 'em...

> >  - <LeftMouseButton> and [LeftMouseButton] on the song view move the work
> > cursor
>
> Ah, yeah. But if it is _also_ for moving a clip, it might start to be
> confusing. When your song is  mostly empty, this action will start to move
> the work cursor, but when your tracks are full of clips.....
> It might perhaps be better to just have one key for the workcursor, but
> that's just my idea :-)

I found dragging the work cursor a bit error-prone. Maybe it's just me, but,
just like Remon predicted, alot of the times I just end up moving the clip
beneath the cursor. I think this definitely needs to be worked on. I don't
want to insult you (please don't be insulted ;-) ), but it vaguely reminds of
MS Word 'intuïtiveness'. Sorry, it won't happen again ;-).

I see two possibilities: Adding the snap-functionality of dragging the work
cursor to the other ways of moving the work cursor and removing
[LeftMouseButton] for dragging the work cursor, altogether.

Or: Altering the behaviour of [ LeftMouseButton] so that it always drags the
cursor whenever you start dragging in a certain radius of the cursor.

> > I also made a few keymap changes:
> >  - modified Alt-Z zooms out  :)
>
> On a us type of keyboard, placing  your left hand into the typing position
> (your pointing finger of the left hand is on the F key), this action is
> terrible to perform, whereas < Z > and < ZX > are very natural...
> Just my $ 0.02 :D
>
> (But it's no problem if you like this one more, other people might like it
> more too, and it doesn't stand in the way, that's the beauty if this
> system)

Actually for me my X key is just above the Alt key, so < ZX > or [ALT] + < Z >
is almost exactly the same. I do find using a modifier key to invert the
behaviour just logical. It's something I'd think of trying, before looking it
up. I'd never think of <ZX>. I like it.
I wouldn't leave <ZX> AND [ALT] + < Z > though.

For zooming I mostly use [Z] + mouse anyway.

International keyboards are a prime example of why the possibility to select a
different keymap file is a nifty feature though. No, it's not really
high-priority, but it'd be nice to have, at some point in the future.

> >  - dragging a marker and a curve node can be done with LMB
>
> Yeah, for new users this could be a good thing, but once you get used to [
> D ] if feels more natural.

I find it a nice addition. It lowers the learning curve a little, without
changing anything for the pro's.

> My experience is that one can do the dragging much more accurately ...

Definitely agree to that.

Thank you!