Re: [Traverso-devel] Does not detect absence of jack server

From: Nicola Döbelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Does not detect absence of jack server
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 13:24:28 +0200

> > Also, a feature request: Would it be possible to select which inputs and
> > outputs disply in the VU-meter window. I just purchased another sound
> card
> > with multiple inputs and outputs and displaying everything is not
> extremely
> > convenient.
>
> Yeah, I'll have a look at this, it's a bit annoying indeed.
>
> To keep track of all the bugs, wishes, suggestions, could you please use
> the
> bugtracker on savannah?
> If you add an item in the bugtracker, then there is a lot more chance that
> can't forget about certain issues !

I'd like to add a remark related to this request. At the moment we only have
VUMeters for hardware channels, but in future, especially once we have advanced
routing capabilities, we should add VUMeters for software channels as well. I'm
thinking of a VUMeter for each track (shown in the TrackPanel), Subgroup, AUX
bus, and master output showing the post-fader signal of the corresponding
channel. These can be helpful to follow the signal path visually. Or how else
would you check if an AUX bus really receives a send signal, or if a signal is
routed through a Subgroup or directly to the master output? Or if a certain
plugin overdrives the master output?

As to Paul's request, I think once we have the additional 'software' VUMeters,
there will rarely be need for the 'hardware' meterbridge anymore. It is still
important when setting up a recording session, or routing through external
effect units etc., but most of the time we don't actually want to know if there
is a signal at a certain hardware channel, but if it arrives at a certain
track. So my suggestion is, if you (Paul, and others as well of course) can
live with it until 0.50.0, let's ignore it for now and let's hope Remon agrees
to focus on routing once 0.40.0 is released.

Greetings
Nicola