[Traverso-devel] Incremental backup solution

From: Remon
Subject: [Traverso-devel] Incremental backup solution
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 21:47:49 +0200

Hi list,

There is a user on Mac OS X with a weird problem, after some time all file
interaction suddenly stops working. Saving the project then results in no
project file at all, and hitting save again moves the non-existent project
file to the backup, effectively destroying all his work.

NOT GOOD.

Now I've the following idea, which allready is implemented.

Instead of saving only one backup, we save the difference of the project file
after each save. This way the user is able to restore the project file for
each save action, and to as many save points as needed.

The application I've used for this is rdiff-backup [1], and it works very
well. After each save action, rdiff-backup is run over the project.tpf file,
and we're now able to restore the project from any save point like seen in
this screenshot: http://traverso-daw.org/screenies/screen50.png

However, once we use this solution and/or program we have to stick with it,
else users will start to get angry "argh, my backup solution suddenly no
longer works after upgrade xyz"

So if anyone of you have (other) ideas, needs more info or knows about a
program that works in a similar way, and is implemented in c/c++
(rdiff-backup uses python :-( ), please let me know!

Thanks,

Remon

[1] http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/