Re: [Traverso-devel] on the fly resampling

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] on the fly resampling
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 19:26:24 +0100

Hi Ben,

> Plus, it can probably be worked around by pretending that the source's
> sample rate is the same as the current playback rate.  :)  Which I
> think would give the old behavior...

I've done that, but that doesn't work. Point is that the current play position
is translated into a position relative to the file.
So, when the samplerates don't match, the reading into the audio buffer
happens at the wrong position, well actually the correct position.
Argh, don't know how to explain it ....

Ehm, when you play at 48 Khz and the audio file is 44 KHz, then before the
playcursor reaches the end of the clip, the audioclip would have stopped
playing previously, obviously, since we were playing more samples per second
then the file really has.
But now, due 'universal samplerate logic' in Traverso, we continuously
calculate the 'correct' position in the audiofile, which means we jump back a
little bit in the audiofile every time we read in the next chunk of it....

It probably could be made to 'work' more or less, (then of course the audio
plays to fast, and stops playing before the end or after the end of the clip)
but the question is do we want such a 'feature' ?

I don't see a use for it, such a feature would be more appropriate as a
time-stretch feature....

Greetings,

Remon