[Traverso-devel] 0.42 Issues

From: ben levitt
Subject: [Traverso-devel] 0.42 Issues
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:09:44 -0800

Happy Winter Holidays to all you Traversoers,  (are you all in the
northern hemisphere?)

I've been using 0.42 a whole bunch for the last couple weeks to get
real work done (yay!) and also to look for usability issues, and here
are some things I noticed:

- When middle-clicking, or pressing Shift to touch the playhead, I
noticed that traverso would sometimes stop moving the playhead, but
not jump it to where I had touched.  It turned out that DragPlayHead
didn't work right if it started and finished without any jog events in
between, so I fixed that.

 - There was a similar problem when middle-clicking/Shifting on a
Marker.  If you were quick, it would correctly set the playhead to the
marker's position, but if you were a bit slow, it would set the marker
to the mouse position.  This has now been fixed in cvs.

 - I also noticed that while trying to place markers (< M >), I
sometimes changed a fade mode instead.  :P  (Especially since markers
often go right near fades, at the edges of clips.)  I propose using a
different key for changing the fade mode.  < P > for shaPe?  This
would conflict with Pan ([ P ]), but that seems like a less common
command, and one that's not focused on edges...  Any other key
suggestions?

 - I kept wanting the arrow keys to auto-repeat.  Holding down an
arrow key should either scroll continuously or in steps, but it
shouldn't just move one step and then be done.  Remon, any suggestions
on the best way to implement this?  A separate hold command that
animates a smooth scroll until the hold finishes?

 - While dragging a clip, we really need a way to also move all the
clips on the right of that clip.  Remon and I were talking about using
< D F > for this.  I was also thinking about adding a toggle button
(next to Snap, AutoScroll) that would make this the default behavior
on a drag.  Remon pointed out that we should also have a way to move
all clips to the left of the current clip while dragging.  It makes
sense in terms of maintaining symmetry, but I couldn't actually think
of a real need for this since Shets in traverso are left-aligned...
Remon, do you have specific use cases in mind for that?

And I also found two pretty bad bugs:

 - Often when playing a clip for the first time, it fails to actually
play(!)  Especially when starting it from the middle with a seek.

 - Zooming into micro-mode crashes me on AudioClipView.cpp:463.  In the line:
   m_polygontop.append( QPointF(x, -scaleFactor *
pixeldata[chan][bufferPos++]) );
   Could this be related to the new caching?

Ben