Re: [Traverso-devel] track gain automation

From: plutek-infinity
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] track gain automation
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 16:55:38 -0500

>From: Remon Sijrier <address@hidden>
>Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 22:42:23 +0100
>
>Hi,

>> >'works' now in git, that is, compile and runtime tested, but there could
>> > be a hidden bug somewhere. Except it's not shown to you in 'effects mode'
>> > for now. this is due how plugins and their automation curves are shown.
>> > We need to make it possible to just make one 'plugin curve' active at a
>> > time, and make that one 'topmost' so you can edit it.
>> >Suggestions on how to expose this to the user are much welcomed!
>>
>> although you may be looking for a more general paradigm.... here's an
>>  initial idea:
>
>Thanks, but I think it's better to go for the general paradigm to avoid
>duplicating work. E.g. it shouldn't (me crosses fingers) be to hard to add pan
>automation, and then your idea below no longer works, right?

well, ctrl-<P> and alt-<P> could work similarly, to bring up pan automation on
clips and tracks, perhaps? and ctrl-F3 could bring up pan automation
globally.maybe that's all too kludgy.

i guess if you're looking to develop a more general paradigm which can include
parameters of *any* plugin, we're clearly going to need something other than
dedicated keystrokes like these. maybe something like F3 throws us into general
(track, not clip) automation mode (which defaults to gain automation for all
tracks), and then right-click (or something) brings up a dialog for the current
track, allowing choice of pan or any other plugin parameters.

>> for gain, which already has [G] in both clip and track contexts, could we
>>  just use a modifier with the [G] for automation curves in those contexts.
>>  i see that ctrl-[G] and alt-[G] don't seem to be occupied. maybe ctrl-[G]
>>  could activate the gain curve for clips and alt-[G] for tracks. that could
>>  be for a specific clip or track -- you could switch individual clips or
>>  tracks in/out of gain automation mode that way. F2 could still be a global
>>  gain curve mode for all clips, and F3 (which is unused, right?) could send
>>  all *tracks* into gain curve mode.

cheers!

--
.pltk.