unity-src

Re: [Unity-irc3] Banning from the entire network, part two

From: Jan Krueger
Subject: Re: [Unity-irc3] Banning from the entire network, part two
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 20:59:50 +0200

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 18:44:20 +0100, David Westley <address@hidden> wrote
this:
> Small suggestion... use current real-world entities for examples, like...
>
> Undernet, DALnet, EFNet, Quakenet and IRCnet are all groups (I hope)
> Servers that join one of those nets would become part of one of those groups
> yes?
>
> Slap me if I'm going off in completely the wrong direction :)
>
> David

QuakeNet - tiscali.dk.quakenet.org (10), b0rk.uk.quakenet.org (4),
           snoke.nl.quakenet.org (2)

Undernet - mclean.va.us.undernet.org (10), amsterdam.nl.eu.undernet.org (4),
           stockholm.se.eu.undernet.org (2), tiscali.dk.quakenet.org (1)

EFNet    - efnet.vuurwerk.nl (10), efnet.demon.co.uk (4),
           irc.ipv6.homelien.no (2)

where the number is the access level of the server.

First example:
Someone on tiscali.dk.quakenet.org sets a global ban *.t-dialin.net. Since
tiscali is member of both QuakeNet and Undernet, it will send the ban to both
of those groups. On QuakeNet it will be a level 10 ban while on Undernet it
will be a level 1 ban.
Now b0rk.uk.quakenet.org has chosen to accept all bans with level >=4 from
QuakeNet, thus the ban gets added on b0rk.
snoke.nl.quakenet.org accepts bans with level >=1 but requires the ban to be
placed at least two times from different servers. In order to get the ban
active on snoke, someone on b0rk would have to send the same ban again.

On Undernet, the tiscali ban will most likely do nothing since it's only been
placed once there and on the lowest level possible.
However, amsterdam.nl.eu.undernet.org might have setup a special local trust
for tiscali, immediately adding all bans tiscali sets. It's up to them. :)

EFNet isn't affected at all.

Second example:
amsterdam.nl.eu.undernet.org sets a ban on *.p0p0.de, level 4 (since it
can't set a higher level). However, it's a required policy on the Undernet
group that servers only accept level 5 bans.
Now tiscali has a look at the ban and decides that the ban is reasonable, so
they send the same ban back to the blacklist server on level 1 (obviously).
Now we have two bans on *.p0p0.de, one on level 4 and one on level 1. Now we
add the levels together and get a level 5 ban. Level 5 bans are mandatory for
all servers to pick up, so we now have a Undernet-wide ban on *.p0p0.de.
Horray.

Note that these group memberships are only about global/remote bans and kills,
nothing else is affected by them.

Any questions left?

Jan