Re: [VM] Beginner VM questions

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Beginner VM questions
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 17:26:17 +0100

Peter Davis writes:

> Ok, since this was met with stoney silence, and my searches for using VM
> with Maildir haven't been too fruitful, how about MH format? I assume VM
> still supports that, right?

Sorry, Peter.  You are out luck.  VM doesn't support either mailder or MH
format (yet).  There is an on-going wishlist item, but I have no idea when
we will get to it.

The only support VM has for any maildir-like format is that it can define
virtual folders over directories.  I presume it would look something like
this:

     (setq vm-virtual-folder-alist
        '(
          ;; start virtual folder definition
          ("virtual-folder-name"
           (("/path/to/maildir1" "/path/to/maildir2")
            (header "foo")
           )
          )
          ;; end of virtual folder definition
        ;; more virtual folders if needed
        )
     )

If this set-up works, you will be able to at least read the maildir
folders.  I don't think you will be able to operate on them.

If you want full inter-operability with your Mutt set-up, I think it won't
be possible.

> I could convert my Maildir folders back to MH (as they were
> originally). Then I'd be using VM to fetch new mail from POP3 servers
> and add it to the MH repository, and of course to read, reply, forward,
> etc.

If you are commiting to using VM, then your best bet is to keep VM folders
in its native mbox format, and work with Mutt and VM in parallel for a
while.  Once you are sure you are comfortable with VM, you can convert
maildir/MH folders to mbox folders.  I think MH has a way of doing it.

There is no problem with accessing POP3 servers from VM, or downloading mail
from them into VM folders.

Cheers,
Uday