Re: [VM] Beginner VM questions

From: Peter Davis
Subject: Re: [VM] Beginner VM questions
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 13:55:32 -0400

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 05:26:17PM +0100, Uday Reddy wrote:
> Peter Davis writes:
>
> > Ok, since this was met with stoney silence, and my searches for using VM
> > with Maildir haven't been too fruitful, how about MH format? I assume VM
> > still supports that, right?
>
> Sorry, Peter.  You are out luck.  VM doesn't support either mailder or MH
> format (yet).  There is an on-going wishlist item, but I have no idea when
> we will get to it.

Thanks, Uday. I was pretty sure I was using VM with MH-format folders
about 10 or 11 years ago, but that was probably a whole different
incarnation of VM.

> If you are commiting to using VM, then your best bet is to keep VM folders
> in its native mbox format, and work with Mutt and VM in parallel for a
> while.  Once you are sure you are comfortable with VM, you can convert
> maildir/MH folders to mbox folders.  I think MH has a way of doing it.
>
> There is no problem with accessing POP3 servers from VM, or downloading mail
> from them into VM folders.

I was going to try a few different MUAs in parallel, to see the
benefits and shortcomings of each. I suppose I could setup VM to fetch
POP3 messages without deleting them from the server, right? Then I
could have separate mbox and Maildir archives for a while.

Thank you!

-pd