Re: [VM] gmail issue

From: James Freer
Subject: Re: [VM] gmail issue
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 13:08:39 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012, Uday Reddy wrote:

James Freer writes:

Could this be a problem with the new gmail UI and the way it handles
replies. I notice they've removed it for this weekend which makes me
think there are some problems to be sorted. In which case.... your
problem could disappear.

There do seem to be changes... and bugs.  The gmail IMAP server is not at
present responding to the LOGOUT command.  So, VM hangs waiting to hear back
from the server.  I hope they will fix this soon.

Mark Diekhans writes:

Google groups doesn't send you a copy of your message when you
post to a list.  We have been told they view this as a `feature'
which there is no control over.

Sounds like they added the same `feature' to gmail :-(

Yeah, I think they have made an ill-thought out change here.  There are
possible work-arounds in VM using virtual folders.  I will post them here
when I have them working.

Cheers,
Uday
Uday

Trouble is you spend time doing mods for users and then gmail change things. I want to use VM but for the moment i've stayed with alpine. The last time we were in touch i was going to install Xubuntu 12.04 only to discover that it was still on Emacs 23. Stunnel gave trouble and Emacs 24 was solving this. I've had so much to do i haven't tried xubuntu 12.11 so the next upgrade for me will be 13.04 when i hope to have VM running.

many thanks for all your hard work.
james