xnee-devel

Re: [Xnee-devel] Questions about the record and replay the whole X proto

From: Henrik Sandklef
Subject: Re: [Xnee-devel] Questions about the record and replay the whole X protocol on xnee
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 11:55:19 +0200

On 07/08/2011 02:05 PM, natalia armas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to record the whole  X protocol for a late replay.

Recording is possible.

Replay in Xnee is done via XTest, so only device events are possible to
replay.

"Replaying" of non device events wouldn't make much sense though. All
non device events are results of the device events (well. not entirely
true). When you click a button you ask X to do something via the APIs.
It could be to show a picture. Then when the X server is done doing this
it sends an event to the client to tell that it's ready. What good would
it be to fake this event ... without having actually shown the picture.
Faking all requests (sent by the client, via the X APIs) would be
possible to implement but time consuming.

> I noticed that
> cnee is able to record and replay just the mouse and the keyboard events. I
> need the replay of the whole recorded protocol ( window creation, gc
> creation, pixmaps creation, draw X). In fact my purpose is to obtain a kind
> of video while replaying,

Then you better look at tools such as istanbul or recordmydesktop.

> to have exactly the same windows created, the same
> content that i had on my desktop when I was recording.
> I tried the xnee 3.08, on command line (cnee).
>
> Can you please tell me if there is a version or a xnee project  that would
> be able to replay not only the events, but also the queries and other
> protocol data?

No, there is not.

> If not, can you please give me some advice in order to arrive to make my
> recording and replaying?

You probably have to implement a new X server or extension to do this.

> I would like also to have more development details(the structure of the
> output file) or some more advanced  cnee examples (because in the manual
> there are few and are using only the mouse and keyboard events).

Read the Xnee manual, check "7.4.3 Replay", for info about the file

But please, feel free to ask questions on the public mailing lists :)

/h