Re: [Adonthell-general] IRC meeting report

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] IRC meeting report
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 00:40:17 +0200

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002 16:45:50 -0400 Joseph Toscano wrote:

> I suppose it depends on what your goal is. But it's up to you guys. I
> myself would vote against it, though. Not really because I'm selfish,
> but because I'd rather Adonthell sound unified, with one set of
> themes, with one set of sounds, etc.

Hm, that's a valid point. Different musicians will almost certainly
differ in style. I don't want to say that is bad in all cases, but it's
hard to judge how it'll turn out before you hear the actual result.
Besides, I don't think we have a problem with the music. It might come
late, but it's well made and there's plenty of it :).

> It seems some of the concern is that music isn't being produced fast
> enough. The reason I haven't really been working on Adonthell tunes is
> because I'd rather work with the game before I start making music for
> it. In other words, I don't want to make music blindly.

Well, it's just that we others get anxious to release when the time
comes near. And as tuning the game to the music also takes some time (as
we've seen), it would be nice to have something as early as possible.
Maybe that's more a problem of getting gfx and other content done in
time, as there'll be no game without those.

OTOH, do we need to meet any deadlines? ;)

> This was the case with Waste's Edge, for the most part. I had to wait
> until the very end before anything was concrete, so I could make music
> that fit. I think it worked out well that way.

It sure did. All in all, I think we're manned very well on the music
side. So another musician is not really necessary. For now we should
concentrate on attracting some gfx artists and possibly programmers.
Somebody doing sfx might be nice too; maybe we'll even get somebody for
that.