Re: [Adonthell-general] IRC meeting report

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] IRC meeting report
Date: 08 Apr 2002 15:15:20 +0200

> I suppose it depends on what your goal is. But it's up to you guys. I myself
> would vote against it, though. Not really because I'm selfish, but because
> I'd rather Adonthell sound unified, with one set of themes, with one set of
> sounds, etc.

Sensible. Actually, I don't think we had problems with music
availability so far, and I'm sure you alone can score the whole game. So
if you are ok with that, I see no need to enroll another musician - I'm
totally pleased with the music style so far. Other problems might also
come from the material used by another musician - he/she might not have
access to all the professionnal material you do, so the sound quality
could not be the same (have to admit you put the level VERY high ;))

> It seems some of the concern is that music isn't being produced fast enough.
> The reason I haven't really been working on Adonthell tunes is because I'd
> rather work with the game before I start making music for it. In other
> words, I don't want to make music blindly.

Actually, the music has always been produced in time - maybe when you
are in a hurry like when making Waste's Edge musics you have less time
to polish them. Such songs you released without time constraints (the
Waste's Edge title music, The Wizard or the Shrouded Island) are truly
masterpieces - this is why I suggested ripping some of The Wizards
parts, because they are... woaah. :)

Of course, Waste's Edge was very specific because the musics were only
intended for it - and the entire game only consists of a few scenes. But
in the complete game, we can't have one different music for each scene -
they'll have to be more "generic" so they can be used in several places.
Having that in mind, maybe you can score several ambiences without
having the complete game in front of you. Just feeling the global
gameplay and having a "generic" scene could make it. I have to agree
this wasn't possible with Waste's Edge.

Anyway, only take what I said as suggestions - so far I hadn't to
complain about your songs, so work the way you like it! :)

> So once I see a binary for Windows floating my way. . .

I'm concentrating my efforts on that every time I have a Windows machine
to test with :) Really, it isn't far - problem is that I'm on hollidays
so I can't have access to Windows. Unless you are ok to test the
binaries if I put them on my site like before and send the output
(that's not the ideal way to do it, I agree) - the only problem
remaining afaik is with these images that doesn't load correctly. Once
it is fixed, even Waste's Edge should compile and run.

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org