Re: [Adonthell-general] Problems starting the game

From: cirrus
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Problems starting the game
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 21:16:47 +0000

Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> > I'm having trouble getting the DOS version to run. The files are where they
> > should be on my c: drive. In the adonthell directory, I type 'adonthell
> > wastesedge' at the prompt and nothing of note happens. No error messages. No
> > game. No sounds. Nothing. Has anyone else gotten this to work?
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> When you refer to DOS version I suppose you're actually talking about
> Windows (while it makes no real difference to me, but... ;))
>
> Well, actually these Windows binaries are rather a first alpha-test than
> anything. Too many things are hard-coded (like the game directory) and I
> can't guarantee it will 100% work for now (OTOH, we got several
> successes reports, and Windows is known to be far more uniform than
> Unixes, so I guess if you follow Kai's instructions you should be able
> to make it).
>
> But if you prefer comfort, you might want to wait a little bit for the
> next release. It's a matter of (a few) weeks, and it will have full
> Windows support, a nice installer, and an option to double the size of
> the screen ;) Ah, not to mention nicer fonts, and translations
> (hopefully) in several languages other than English.
>
> Still, it's nice to see that my crappy binaries already have success (I
> only fear that Windows downloads will overcome Unix ones in less than
> one week when we release... Oh we really gotta spread some Free Software
> propaganda with the Windows binaries, definitely ^_^)

Absolutely! Maybe some easter-egg dialogues - maybe, if you try to talk
to, say, a table somewhere it could say something like "Something is
wrong with this world. I feel so constrained" Ok, maybe that idea's
kinda stupid but we should have some hints to get a away from winshite
somewhere. :P

                -James

--
  /    / /__/ /__/ /  / /__                 Reg. Linux User #148821