Re: [Adonthell-general] Problem

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Problem
Date: 27 Apr 2002 13:54:52 +0200

> At worst, we could do this at startup: Using the Windows equivalent of
> getcwd() to get the current directory we are in and construct the data
> directory dynamically from it.

Did try again with '.', without success. But using getcwd (which also
exist on Windows) did work, provided I change '\'s to '/'. So, pfiuu :),
you can now place Adonthell anywhere. But we'll have to make carefull
that our menu entries execute Adonthell in the directory it has been
installed into (I think such entries have a "Run in directory"
parameter, if I remember correctly. Also, it can be that by default
programs are run in their directory).

So, things seems to go on well. I'll probably put a new .zip on Monday
(can't do it before, unfortunately) which will contain everything
needed, engine + data. Hopefully it will also support 640x480, and
should work anywhere.

> Hum, I think Joseph is right here. My alextest was quite slow on a small
> Windows machine (but with a GeForce 2), which lead me to think that
> Windib was used instead of Directx. Moreover, it crashes under WineX
> when I ask it to use DirectX. So we might have a (minor) problem here.
> You can try forcing SDL to use directx by setting the environment
> variable SDL_VIDEODRIVER to "directx", or fall back to the windib driver
> by setting it to "windib". If you have problems starting with one of
> these values, please have a look at stderr.txt as it will contain
> interesting information about the problem. I'd like to be more precise,
> but I don't remember how you set environment variables under Windows
> (set NAME=VALUE?).

Well, having checked the parameters passed to SDL_SetVideoMode (and
changed them to more "default" values), nothing has changed. Using
DirectX, SDL_SetVideoMode returns NULL, even on very simple examples
like the code snippet you sent. Maybe it is a DLL problem? Joseph, can
you try with your own DLL? AFAIK, nothing should prevent the use of
DirectX. We just call SDL_SetVideoMode with SDL_HWSURFACE and
SDL_DOUBLEBUF as flags. If you want, I can send a simple little program
that will just set a video mode and tell whether any kind of
acceleration is available.

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org