Re: [Adonthell-general] Problem

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Problem
Date: 27 Apr 2002 11:09:59 +0200

> I wish it would! Alex tried setting the data directory to '.' when
> compiling the windows binary. That should enable you to install
> Adonthell wherever you want, provided the game data resides in the same
> directory (as it does now). But it did not work. Neither does using the
> -g option work, which would allow us to pass the path to the data at
> runtime. But I am not sure what the problem is. Maybe some debugging
> output would help here.
>
> Anyway, we'll surely find a solution for this.

At worst, we could do this at startup: Using the Windows equivalent of
getcwd() to get the current directory we are in and construct the data
directory dynamically from it.

> > > Yeah, that's another problem. Windows isn't able to do a 320x240
> > > res.
> >
> > It sure is. Especially through SDL. I've done it a billion times in my
> > programs. But, as I recall, you guys are bypassing DirectX for some
> > reason, so . . . your mileage may vary.
>
> Really? I'm not bypassing DirectX in any way. (At least I am not aware
> of it). As DirectSound was used for audio on my box, I imagine that
> DirectDraw is used for the gfx - still no fullscreen. Could you post
> some code that does switch to fullscreen in that resolution? That might
> help locating the problem.

Hum, I think Joseph is right here. My alextest was quite slow on a small
Windows machine (but with a GeForce 2), which lead me to think that
Windib was used instead of Directx. Moreover, it crashes under WineX
when I ask it to use DirectX. So we might have a (minor) problem here.
You can try forcing SDL to use directx by setting the environment
variable SDL_VIDEODRIVER to "directx", or fall back to the windib driver
by setting it to "windib". If you have problems starting with one of
these values, please have a look at stderr.txt as it will contain
interesting information about the problem. I'd like to be more precise,
but I don't remember how you set environment variables under Windows
(set NAME=VALUE?).

> > > Anyway, having it running at all is a great achievement.
> >
> > Indeed. If we can set up a nice easy installation package (ONE
> > package, not two seperate ones), our userbase will increase
> > exponentially.
>
> Yeah, we plan a single package for Windows. It's not that anyone would
> make another game with our engine at that point, so shipping everything
> together doesn't hurt.

Sure.

Alex.
--