Re: [Adonthell-general] Double screen mode available

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Double screen mode available
Date: 27 Apr 2002 21:44:16 +0200

> Cool! But shouldn't it be called double-size instead of double-screen?
> ;)

Right, sorry :) Fixed.

> > Hardware acceleration will really be welcome when making large
> > translucencies.
>
> Could it be a problem that we don't switch to fullscreen immediatly?
> Although, as it seems our binaries don't make use of DirectX for some
> reason, so that shouldn't have anything to do with it. I read a bit in
> the SDL doc and FAQ, but there is nothing about that problem in there.
> Maybe searching on the mailing list does reveal something.

I'll make some other tests with Joseph's DLL. But it might be, that
fullscreen mode should be set immediatly when setting the video mode.
Not a clue to neglect, I'd say.

> Nah, it's probably okay for a temporary hack. Not sure if you should
> enable it by default though. Actually, if we manage 320x240 fullscreen
> mode under windows, it's not really neccessary at all. (Although there
> were a number of people asking for it, so somebody might be interested
> in running it 640x480 in window mode.)

Most Linux users, I'd say. Who has 320x240 modelines in his XF86Config?
(apart those who badly wanted to play Adonthell in fullscreen). The
README could mention that if you want more speed, you can set the
resolution to 320x240. But most users will probably want to play in
640x480 (under Linux at least, once again). And, is it that slow after
all? It's perfectly playable on my box.

> And 320x240 definately doesn't work under BeOS. I'll have to check if
> the new dialogue engine fixes the problems there, and if it works the
> double size mode is welcome :).

Weeee! :)

Alex.
--