Re: [Adonthell-general] Double screen mode available

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Double screen mode available
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:14:54 +0200

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002 15:33:45 -0500 Andrew Phillips wrote:

> I think it would definitely be better if the portraits and names
> matched. After all, what would the user think if, for example, the
> game says he's talking to Gandalf the White but the picture on the
> screen is of Bilbo Baggins?

Good point.

> If you're using Python for the game engine, why not use a hash to tie
> a face to each name? I apologize in advance for not knowing Python.
> I've heard it builds on Perl, so knowing that Perl does hashes, I
> assume Python does the same.

Dunno whether Python shares any code with Perl, but it does have hashes.

However, we store a character's portrait (it's filename, that is) within
the character class. In fact, the dialogue engine uses the character's
name to access the character to access the portrait. So getting names
and portraits to match is easy as we already know the name :).

I made the neccessary changes.