Re: [Adonthell-general] Human creation myth

From: Andrew Michael Phillips
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Human creation myth
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:42:23 -0500 (CDT)

My thinking was that they were all interested in what would transpire in
the new world, so they all left representatives or shadows of their power
behind to act as messengers. Those two, having no physical or elemental
dominion in the world, put in new things so that they, too, could be
aware of what happened after.

Each has a near-perfect knowledge of his or her own sphere of influence,
but not very much knowledge of the other spheres. Those with no influence
would in the the dark about the new world.

The four races take this concept to its end, so that each group within the
Mighty Ones has its own messengers, caretakers, and supplicants, who would
of course carry news in their prayers.

Humans are the partial exception to this rule, since they were not
deliberately created by any of the Mighty. Each and all had a distant
hand in their making, but none meant to do so. As a result, Humans are the
most diverse in their worship while being most at odds with the world.

As far as relevance, that would vary drastically. Most would think the
myths to be old, quaint stories and not terribly relevant. Some thinkers,
like Rymon, would consider them essentially true, if not very accurate,
and spend time pondering the relationships between the races. Others, like
the witch and the more learned alchemists would be firm believers, going
so far as to invoke the Mighty or their servants.

I need to add one or two more characters to the myth, then it will be
done. My story is rather like the Ainulinadale and the Valaquenta (found
in the same volume as the Silmarillion), and does include both a High King
of the Mighty and a Dark Prince, whose name I haven't come up with. I
might just leave him nameless, for effect.

Andrew