Re: [Adonthell-general] Want to use

From: Laurent Burgbacher
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Want to use
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 19:17:25 +0100

> Yeah, it's nice to see that other people are interested in what we're
> doing.

It's nice to see I won't have to write a whole game engine alone ;)

> Just a word of warning: don't expect that creating a game with the
> current engine will be as smooth as the WasteƄs Edge demo might
> indicate. There's a lack of documentation and lack of proper map-making
> tools. Another thing is the engine itself, which will undergo some
> changes in the future. For example, resolution will be 640x480 - you're
> not the only one who wondered about it being 320x240 ;). There'll be
> other changes that affect the file format and API.

I'll begin with it in early january, and have not planned to take too much
time for it. In fact, my plan is to make a game, waste's edge style, but
the goal is to promote the esperanto language, by including some basis of it
in the story, and have the player learn a bit to be able to understand what's
going on in the game.

> OTOH, a lot of work involves making graphics, dialogues and such, which
> is pretty much independent from the engine. So if you're patient enough
> to wait for features being added and for tools being written, then
> you're very welcome to make your own game with the engine. Even better
> if you could lend a hand here and there :).

I probably will help a bit. I know C/C++ well, and Python very well (I'm doing
my diploma work in Python).

Bye
--
</lb>