Re: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell French Meetic Report - GUI, SDL, Clanl

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell French Meetic Report - GUI, SDL, Clanlib
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 22:44:03 +0100

On Sat, 4 Jan 2003 13:03:14 +0100 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> That's a bit the chicken and egg problem. Having code that runs
> motivates the artists, since they can enjoy they work in the game.
> Getting artistic material motivates the coders, as they are curious to
> see how cool their engine will look with such beautiful art. The
> problem is, none did the first blow until then! ;)

Very true :/.

> Right. My enthousiasm is tempered by other's reaction - as Ingo said,
> it's much better design to keep your own framework. The GUI is the
> most pressing problem to me. If we can just keep and improve the old
> one, and if we can use, say, GTK for all our tools (embedding an
> Adonthell view or maybe even writing a GTK backend to do rendering in
> a GTK window), that'd be ok I think.

That could turn out quite cool. If all our tools used GTK, we could
probably make them pretty interoperable. Drag'n drop anyone?

And it might well be possible to write a GTK backend with the help of
gdk_pixbuf. I'd like that idea :).

> > Oh, and while we're talking about coding: I guess I could work with
> > David on the character/item/inventory complex. One doing the
> > low-level stuff, the other taking care of an editor. I wanted to
> > finish dlgedit first, but as it is in a usable state again, it can
> > wait. Only problem is, I won't have too much time this month, as I
> > also have exams in a couple of weeks.
>
> Would be a good idea - moreover, having  a guide when they enter the
> mess of Adonthell's code will certainly prevent newcomers to get
> scared! ;) And the two of you won't be too much to get that huge task
> done.

Yeah, it's quite a task. Besides, when working together one might always
motivate the other. When working on your own, you get bored more easily.

Btw, I've also started to write a little something about Adonthell's
architecture in general. Not very far yet, but if you want to have a
look, I'll upload it to the website:

    http://adonthell.linuxgames.com/files/architecture_pdf.tar.gz

(LaTeX sources are in the 'doc' module in CVS)

Any comments and suggestions welcome.