[Adonthell-general] Ghosts and other undead

From: Andrew Michael Phillips
Subject: [Adonthell-general] Ghosts and other undead
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:15:19 -0600 (CST)

This is related to a thread running on the plot list, but I'm posting here
because this topic relates more to general design than to the specifics of
the current demo.
I mentioned something called a blade spectre, so I shall start there. A
blade spectre is the ghost of a warrior who has been bound somehow to the
weapons or armour the warrior owned at the time of his death. They can be
dealt with in various ways. The most direct - if short-lived approached -
is to disarm the spectre by breaking or snatching away his arms and
armour. This will drive the spectre underground until it can regain its
power, at which time it will reclaim its arms no matter where they might
be. Thus, they are sometimes called the thief's nightmare. It's much more
efficient to either cure them into true death or to help them find rest.
In "modern" times, i.e., the setting of Waste's Edge, blade spectres and
shield spectres are rare unless you find an ancient battleground. They
have names, resting places, and reasons for remaining among the living.
For the purposes of translation in German, a good word to start with might
be wehrgeist. I'm not even sure that word is in the dictionary, but
Germans seem rather fond of coinage by concatention, so it should pass
muster.
Other kinds of ghosts are more common. All sorts of undead are more common
in earlier ages of the world, nearer to the Marring.
Two other kinds of noteworthy spectres are ghostmages - Elvish
necromancers who managed to die and go on working - and wraiths. Wraiths
are usually at least partially demonic, if not entirely demonic. They
aren't very common, but they can be tricky, as dispatching them requires
the help of a priest or shaman of the same 'race' as the wraith. Even
entirely demonic wraiths have a race attribute. Every demonic or divine
spirit has attributes of every race, but each is more like one race than
any of the others.
These, however, are just ideas. Comments are welcome. Must go do dishes
now.
guten abend
--
Andrew Phillips