Re: [aspell] [Q] Copyright and International dictionaries...

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell] [Q] Copyright and International dictionaries...
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:22:54 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Sudhakar Chandra wrote:

> 1. What is the copyright of aspell.  src/aspell.cc says it is GPL.  But
> manual/man-html/F_Copyright.html says it is LGPL-ed.

The library is LGPL but the utility is GPL but now that you being it up I
many change it all to LGPL.  If not I will make the manual clearer.

> 2. I am at a stage where I am ready to package alternate dictionaries for
> aspell for Debian.  The Danish one seems fairly easy to package.  But why
> do the other languages have differing instructions on how to build the
> dictionaries?

Because I do not maintain or control the foreign dictionaries.

> 3. Quite a few of the ispell dictionaries are already packaged for Debian.
> If I want to use them for aspell, what should I do?

You need to demunch the original word lists at very least and create a
language data file for each language.  Most of this is spelled out in the
manual.  I also suggest you have a look at the RedHat 7.0 packages as much
of this work has already been done.  There is also the issue of the amount
of space the wordlists take up and if the soundlike look up should be
disabled.  I suggest you browse the Aspell mailing list archive as much a
lot of these issues have already been discussed on this mailing list when
the RedHat 7.0 packages were being created.

---
Kevin Atkinson
kevina at users sourceforge net
http://metalab.unc.edu/kevina/