Re: [Fwd: Re: [Aspell-user] western european languages]

From: Maki 1sy8
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Aspell-user] western european languages]
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 10:59:11 +0200

On 4/28/06, bnj <address@hidden> wrote:
Maki 1sy8 wrote:

> On 4/28/06, *bnj* <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I am having some problems with documents in French and in German: the
>     special charachters like é à è ö ä ü do not seem to be supported by
>     aspell. I have tried two different options:
>     1. write the characters as they are, encoded in latin-1.
>     2. write the LaTeX code (like \'e, \"u, ...)
>     None of these options gave a good result. At each time, aspell considers
>     this special character as a separator between two words, such that a
>     word like:
>
>     Fremdwörter
>
>     would become, for aspell, these two words:
>
>     Fremdw rter
>
>     Of course, none of them is german an aspell wants to correct them.
>
>     So what is your solution?
>
>     Thank you in advance,
>
>     Benjamin
>

> Are you sure of your encoding ? I aspell-ed  a few french  LaTeX docs
> and it worked *almost* perfectly.
>
> I say *almost* as I have some strange problem. I posted the following
> question before but got no answers till now :
>  > Is it normal that from time time aspell proposes words with spaces or
> hyphens instead of the whole
>  > worlds ??
>  > Example : I had the correctly spelled french word 'diminutif', aspell
> proposed me 'diminu  tif' which
>  > is wrong.
>  > How come ?
>
> But in this word, there is no paticular encoded characters, still it got
> split in the aspell's proposals !
>
> Regards.
> 1sy8

Hello,

Yes, I am pretty sure about the encoding, because  my documents uses the
package \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} and the compilation goes fine.
However, now that I think of it, I did not specify the encoding to
aspell. Is there a way to do so?

Thank you.

\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} %% for accents directly in the .tex file

Add that.