Re: [Fwd: Re: [Aspell-user] western european languages]

From: bnj
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Aspell-user] western european languages]
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:48:14 +0200

Maki 1sy8 wrote:

    <mailto:address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>> wrote:

     >     Hello,
     >
     >     I am having some problems with documents in French and in
    German: the
     >     special charachters like é à è ö ä ü do not seem to be
    supported by
     >     aspell. I have tried two different options:
     >     1. write the characters as they are, encoded in latin-1.
     >     2. write the LaTeX code (like \'e, \"u, ...)
     >     None of these options gave a good result. At each time,
    aspell considers
     >     this special character as a separator between two words, such
    that a
     >     word like:
     >
     >     Fremdwörter
     >
     >     would become, for aspell, these two words:
     >
     >     Fremdw rter
     >
     >     Of course, none of them is german an aspell wants to correct
    them.

     >     So what is your solution?
     >
     >     Thank you in advance,
     >
     >     Benjamin
     >

     > Are you sure of your encoding ? I aspell-ed  a few french  LaTeX docs
     > and it worked *almost* perfectly.
     >
     > I say *almost* as I have some strange problem. I posted the following
     > question before but got no answers till now :
     >  > Is it normal that from time time aspell proposes words with
    spaces or
     > hyphens instead of the whole
     >  > worlds ??
     >  > Example : I had the correctly spelled french word 'diminutif',
    aspell
     > proposed me 'diminu  tif' which
     >  > is wrong.
     >  > How come ?
     >
     > But in this word, there is no paticular encoded characters, still
    it got
     > split in the aspell's proposals !
     >
     > Regards.
     > 1sy8

    Hello,

    Yes, I am pretty sure about the encoding, because  my documents uses
    the
    package \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} and the compilation goes fine.
    However, now that I think of it, I did not specify the encoding to
    aspell. Is there a way to do so?

    Thank you.

\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} %% for accents directly in the .tex file

Add that.

What is the difference between
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} and
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
?

I do not see the difference. Neither when compiling with latex (still compiles fine), nor when spell-checking with aspell (still does not work)

Same question as before: Is there a way to specify the encoding to aspell?

Benjamin