Re: [Beaver-devel] Gettext and stuff

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Beaver-devel] Gettext and stuff
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 02:41:12 -0500

Leslie Polzer wrote:
I may be spending some time this week on Beaver after all -- probably just the Search/Replace stuff still. It's coming along nicely, but it's taking me a bit to wrap my head around the incredibly complex GtkTreeView family.

I am currently working on the 'Invalid UTF8' problem.
Try loading about/about.html in Beaver's WWW tree and you
will see that Beaver refuses to load it because of the
'copyright' sign at the end of the file.

g_get_charset() is acting weird. This function is supposed to return
the current locale's charset, but it gives me 'ANSI_X3.4-1968',
a charset I have never heard of - and iconv() fails, too.
With ISO-8859-1 it works and the (C) sign is correctly converted,
but I guess we have to provide the user with a list where he can
select the charset he wants. Maybe also a 'Charsets' tab in the
prefs... or both (radio "ask me every time a conversion must be performed"
/ radio "always use this charset: " -> selection list of charsets).

What do you think?

It really should be possible to autodetect this, right? Any other editor I've used always makes such details invisible to the user. I think we should too.

I didn't get too far into the problem, but I did notice that converting to my locale's charset didn't help the problem at all.

Ideally, we could load the file, discover the charset, make a note of it, convert the text to UTF-8 so that GtkTextBuffer can handle it, and when saving, convert back.

-mt