Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2019 08:20:10 +0300

> Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 23:22:52 +0200
> From: Ergus <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I just uploaded a commit with a preliminary documentation in the file you
> recommended.

Thanks.

> I am learning the texinfo format on the way, so I still need to learn
> how to do a cross reference and other details (it is not trivial for a
> markdown/rst/Latex user like me).

I suggest to have the Texinfo manual open in your Emacs session at all
times when you are writing docs.  The Texinfo manual is well indexed,
so it's very easy to find how to format each directive.  For example,
"i xref RET" will immediately land you in the section that describes
the @xref directive, which is the main directive for cross-references;
the other ones are @pxref and @ref.

> I added the documentation about the indicator on the beginning of the
> Node because I think it is somehow more general as it is not restricted
> to graphical displays like the boundaries indicator.

This is OK.

> Maybe it is possible to add some division in the page to highlight that
> there are at least 2 topics there. (Markdown equivalent to #, ##, ###
> and so on)

I see no need.  The text can clearly indicate where a new sub-topic
starts.

> I also removed most of the text in NEWS (As I moved it to the
> manual). Please give a look if it is better now.

Comments:

 . Use 2 spaces between sentences, per our conventions.
 . Be sure to remove trailing whitespace (I have
   show-trailing-whitespace turned on in derivatives of Text mode for
   that purpose).
 . Don't use "new" or "old" in the manual -- this is appropriate for
   NEWS, but the manual describes what Emacs does regardless of when
   this became available.
 . The sentence which starts with "Is the" is not correct English.
   Instead, say something like "Specifies the ...".
 . nil and t are symbols, so should be in @code.
 . You have left one symbol quoted 'like this' instead of being in
   @code.
 . I spotted one typo: "throw" instead of "through".
 . For best future-proof results, take long commands in @w{}, as in
   @address@hidden global-display-fill-column-indicator-mode}}, to prevent
   makeinfo and TeX from breaking them up between 2 lines at the
   whitespace.

There's also a typo in NEWS: "The indicators is not displayed" --
this mixes singular and plural forms.

The doc string of display-fill-column-indicator-column has a too-long
first sentence, it should fit on a 80-column line.

Thanks.