Re: [emms-help] emms + last.fm?

From: Yoni Rabkin Katzenell
Subject: Re: [emms-help] emms + last.fm?
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:20:02 +0300

Magnus Henoch <address@hidden> writes:

> Can emms send information to last.fm somehow?  I can't find any such
> module; I'm slightly tempted to write one myself, but I'd like to hear
> if something like this has been done already before starting.

Emms does not have support for Last.fm at this time. Additionally, I am
not aware of anyone else who is working on it. You are certainly welcome
to do it. I am aware of at least one person besides you who would like
last.fm functionality (read it on a blog somewhere...).

With what limited knowledge I have about the protocol involved I see two
potential problems:

The first is that without threading, you would have to let Emacs hang
when connecting to the server at the beginning of each song. This may be
a problem if there is something wrong with the connection.

The second is that the protocol puts time and track validation
constraints on the client. So you would need to hook into the track
playing time and check if the user has moved to another track within a
certain amount of time, yada yada yada.