Re: [fluid-dev] Fluid and Swami

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluid and Swami
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:05:52 -0800

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 09:42, Edenyard wrote:
>    Many thanks for your prompt and helpful response, Josh.

You're welcome :)

>    fluidsynth: warning: Couldn't set high priority scheduling for the
> audio output.
>    fluidsynth: warning: Couldn't set high priority scheduling for the
> MIDI input.
>
>    At the risk of being a complete pain, please could I ask for some
> guidance in fixing this? I can run Fluidsynth with Swami and I get
> sound.

Not a pain, really since its easy to answer. Those are just warnings,
the side effect will be clicks and other artifacts in the audio output.
You need to either run the program as root (or SUID it root, making it a
nice security hole) or if for some reason you don't want to do that and
would like to increase latency instead you can increase the audio buffer
size and count. Its probably easier just to run it as root. When ran as
root FluidSynth will use higher priority scheduling (SCHED_FIFO) in
order to have low latency response. One thing is to note that if for
some reason FluidSynth starts taking up 100% CPU time when running
SCHED_FIFO, you will find yourself having to reboot your machine since
it will be completely unresponsive (except for SysRq keys). So try not
to sequence FluidSynth beyond your CPUs capacity.

>    Thanks again,
>
>       Gerald.

Regards,
        Josh Green