Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth~

From: Norbert Schnell
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth~
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:08:56 +0100

Tach Frank!

On 26 Feb 2004, at 00:24, Frank Barknecht wrote:
(continued) ...a fluid~ object for Max is in existance for almost a
year. I wrote it using the flext cross plattform layer which allows
the same source code to be used for Pd and Max/MSP (maybe jMax later).
You can get some more info about my fluid~ here:

Well, sorry I knew... I had a look at this nice piece of code of fluid~.

Don't take that wrong but I am happy to have something which depends already on FluidSynth and Max/MSP and CodeWarriror and MacOS X and my abilities of getting this done in some hours and didn't want to handle one more thing such as flext.

You'd say it this way:
The only problem is: I don't run Mac nor Max, so I could not provide a
Max binary. My pleas for help regarding compilation of fluid~ on the
max-msp mailing didn't lead to a binary, because compilation is a bit
tricky - you need to compile fluidsynth *and* flext in advance.
Actually flext seemed to be the lesser problem of these two.

Nevertheless: flext is a great thing!

Than there are some funny details in doing something which integrates really well with Max/MSP (like the file open box), which I didn't see how to get into flext.

So, what now? ;)

On the other side I am absolutely in favor of keeping those FluidSynth incarnations compatible concerning the accepted messages (and their effect). To get one step further in the "have a look to my source code" business I'll make sure that fluidsynth~ will implement the same messages as fluid~ and try to post a summary of the other few messages for the FX and the modulation (generators) to this mailing list.

Cheers
   Norbert