[fluid-dev] fluidsynth midi.alsa_seq.id option

From: Rui Nuno Capela
Subject: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth midi.alsa_seq.id option
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:06:06 -0000 (WET)

Hi Peter,

As you might know, I'm the author of qsynth (http://qsynth.sf.net) a Qt
GUI interface for libfluidsynth on Linux. My primary goals are ALSA and
JACK oriented.

While hoping to get you online, and before next release of fluidsynth
1.0.4, I'll ask you about a minor option feature you (or someone in
charge) could quickly add to the fluidsynth settings hash table
configuration.

My humble request boils down to the "midi.alsa_seq.id" settings entry. Is
it possible to have another option instead of just "pid" ?

My own intention is to make qsynth ALSA sequencer client name independent
of PID magic numbering. A fixed custom name would be welcome.

This request goes after my willingness to make qsynth multi-instance
aware, that is, to maintain several instances of the fluid_synth_t engine,
each one with its own ALSA sequencer client identifier, stack of
soundfonts and respective individual settings.

This would make qsynth fit perfectly on rack-mount metafore, at least on
the Linux/ALSA world.

Didn't try it yet, as it's somewhat undocumented, but is it possible to
set some other value on "midi.alsa_seq.id" ? Which one(s)?

Please note that, for session persistence efforts, relying on the ever
changing PID is very cumbersome if not a nightmare. Anyway, it doesn't
fulfill my qsynth multi-instance request as the PID might be the same.

Of course, I can propose a patch for just this, but that would take some
time and could fail the 1.0.4 release timing. If it's a matter of timeline
just ask me. I'll speed up me focusing and ready some hack just around the
corner :)

Hope this makes any sense,
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela