Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth 1.0.6 "Music to my ears"

From: Gerald Pye
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth 1.0.6 "Music to my ears"
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:44:57 +0100

Josh Green wrote:
I'm proud to announce that FluidSynth 1.0.6 "Music to my ears" is now
available for download.  Of particular note is that many synthesis bugs
have been fixed....

        Many thanks, Josh, for that!

I was hoping that the new version would solve another problem that I'm having, but it hasn't - and I hasten to add that I don't believe that the problem I'm having is attributable to Fluid in any case. But I'd appreciate any ideas as to how to solve it:

I've assembled myself a soundfont (using Swami 0.9.2) which is made up from .WAV sound samples from two different sources. Unfortunately, it seems that the samples from one source were recorded at about 10% of the level of those from the other source and I'm having great difficulty in working out how to balance them - they ought to sound roughly the same level in the finished soundfont, but obviously they don't!

Using Swami, I've tried adjusting the attenuation ('Vol Envelope' tab) of the presets that are too quiet but setting the attenuation to negative levels (i.e., increasing the gain) doesn't seem to have any effect. Selecting positive values of attenuation makes the preset quieter, as expected.

Since the number of quiet presets is much smaller than the number of loud ones, it makes sense (or so I thought!) to bring the quiet ones up to the level of the loud ones but I don't seem to be able to achieve that. I also don't want everything to end up down in the noise and quantising distortion by running at too low a level.

Does anyone have any useful pointers as to how I can fix this problem? I appreciate that this isn't necessarily anything to do with Fluid as such, but Fluid is the one thing that's making my project at all possible so I hope I'm not offending anyone by posting this query here!

        Cheers,

                Gerald.