Re: [Swami-devel] Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth 1.0.6 "Music to my ears"

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [Swami-devel] Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth 1.0.6 "Music to my ears"
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 12:32:01 -0700

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 08:47 +0100, Gerald Pye wrote:
> Josh Green wrote:
>
> > You could always tune it at the instrument level
> > and combine it with reference tuning instrument at the preset level, but
> > thats a pain too.
>
>       But probably rather less of a pain than fiddling about with AF
> generators and
> bits of wire stuck in phono sockets!!

True :)  I've always thought that tuning at the sample layer was
probably the best actually.  Not an easy thing to do right now with
Swami since I don't think changes to sample parameters are heard in real
time.  Once a sample is tuned though wherever it is used it would be
correct.

> > It usually works fine for me, I connect my external USB keyboard all the
> > time to the FluidSynth instance running in Swami.  Not sure what could
> > be causing a problem for you off hand, not that there isn't something
> > wrong though.
>
>       Well - it's probably something dumb at my end. I think that I get in a
> muddle
> in two areas: firstly, which driver I should be selecting in Preferences ->
> FluidSynth (MIDI driver? Default?? etc.); secondly, I'm not sure about which
> out
> of 16 possible MIDI channels the keyboard should be sending on for Swami to
> use it.

MIDI Driver should be set to "alsa_seq" and "Default" should be checked
(its in regards to using the default device for the driver, which I
don't think even applies to the ALSA sequencer).
In the little MIDI parameter control toolbar on the right there is a
Chan control.  Anytime an item is selected in the tree it will be loaded
to the selected channel.  So as long as you have selected an instrument
while a given channel is displayed you should get some output from a
MIDI device sending to that channel.

>       Anyway - I'm greatly looking forward to seeing a new 0.9.x version with
> loops
> working properly on sample importing!
>
>       Cheers,
>
>               Gerald.

I'm already a good way into having these changes done.  Wow, old code
base is scary.  I'm much happier with the API in the development
version.  I think libaudiofile supports loops with only AIFF files, so
it will be a requirement to use libaudiofile and AIFF in order to
export/import loops.  Unless libaudiofile adds support for WAV loops in
the future.  Cheers.
        Josh Green