Re: [Swami-devel] Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth 1.0.6 "Music to my ears"

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [Swami-devel] Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth 1.0.6 "Music to my ears"
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 12:05:15 -0700

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 19:56 +0100, Gerald Pye wrote:
> Thanks for your msg, Josh.
>
> > Not a problem at all posting that question here, seems like an
> > appropriate place.  The answer is that SoundFont files don't have
> > negative attenuation (you may see something like this at the Preset
> > level, but when it actually gets applied at the instrument layer, only
> > positive attenuation is allowed).  With DLS files this is not the case,
> > but thats another story.  So you either need to attenuate all other
> > sounds to the level of the quietest one, or better would be to normalize
> > all sounds with an external audio editor.  Currently Swami 0.9.x is
> > lacking in some features that would make this process much easier.  In
> > fact I'm not sure if sample exporting even works with Swami 0.9.2 (its
> > essentially not being developed anymore, since I've been working on the
> > new version).  I probably should release another version of 0.9.x with
> > some of these features in there, since it is the version that is being
> > used.  Hope that helps.
>
>       Yes - it does help, thanks. Just two more questions for today: what
> sort of
> inducement would it take to get you to release another 0.9.x version of
> Swami???
> And would the newer version be able to read the looping points from a
> sample's
> .WAV file and use them to set up looping correctly in the soundfont file -
> 0.9.2
> doesn't do this.
>
>       Cheers,
>
>               Gerald.

Well I suppose it wouldn't take too much to get me to release another
version, since I know its probably necessary.  I had thought Swami 1.0
would have been out a long long time ago.  Unfortunately the sample
libraries that Swami uses (libsndfile and audiofile) don't support WAV
loop points.  Well audiofile has the API for it, but I don't think it
does loop points with WAVs, probably does with AIFF though.  It could
always be hacked in by reading the file separate from the sample
library, but thats more work.  Probably the "Right thing to do" (TM)
would be to add support for WAV looping to audiofile, and then implement
that in Swami.  I've been meaning to do this anyways, since Swami 1.0
would benefit from this work also.

So if another version was released, what other features would be useful?
I've got:
- Sample exporting
- Loop point import/export with samples
- Remove useless message about not distributing saved SoundFont files

Cheers.
        Josh Green