Re: [Swami-devel] Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth 1.0.6 "Music to my ears"

From: Gerald Pye
Subject: Re: [Swami-devel] Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth 1.0.6 "Music to my ears"
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:32:32 +0100

Josh Green wrote:

> Well I suppose it wouldn't take too much to get me to release another
> version, since I know its probably necessary.
> (....)
So if another version was released, what other features would be useful?
I've got:
- Sample exporting
- Loop point import/export with samples
- Remove useless message about not distributing saved SoundFont files

Would it be at all possible that Swami could use an already-running Fluidsynth to generate the sounds, rather than using its own Fluidsynth? I may be asking the impossible (or even complete nonsense) here but my reason for asking is this: in my current project, I have a script that runs Fluidsynth (loading my soundfont), waits 5 seconds, runs aconnect to patch the MIDI through correctly and then starts a big bloaty java thing to process the incoming MIDI from the keyboards and feed then to Fluidsynth's MIDI channels. When I decide that my soundfont needs editing, I have to reverse all of the above procedure and then start Swami, edit, close Swami and start up the Fluid/aconnect/java system again. I was wondering whether I could have one Fluidsynth running all the time and then just start the java gizmo or Swami as appropriate. However, I'd consider this in the 'luxury' class so, if it means tons of upheaval, I'm happy to forget about it - I'd much rather have the loop-point import with samples working!

There are two other problems I have when using Swami - I'm not sure whether they're due to a lack of a specific feature or ignorance on my part when editing soundfonts:

Firstly, often I find that I want to tune a preset or instrument so that, obviously, all presets play in tune when the soundfont gets used in the final project. Because it's only possibble to play one preset at a time, I can't play the preset to be tuned simultaneously with a reference preset and then tune the one to minimise the beat with the other. In the past, I have resorted to getting an audio-frequency generator, setting it to, say, 440Hz and mixing its output along with the output of the PC to the amplifier's input. Is there a saner way in which one can tune presets? Does Swami perhaps need a feature that generates a reference tone against which a preset can be tuned?

Secondly, I always seem to have a problem in getting Swami to work with a MIDI keyboard. I have managed it on occasions but somehow it seems that whether it's going to work or not is not predictable. When it has worked, I've needed to use ALSA Patch Bay to patch the MPU401 output through to the Fluidsynth input once Swami is up and running. Is there a possibility that there's an intermittent problem in Swami that's causing this not to work always? More likely it's something that I'm being dumb about, but I just wondered.

        Food for thought?

        Cheers,

                Gerald.