Re: [fluid-dev] CPU usage

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] CPU usage
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 02:37:10 -0700

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 22:01 +0100, William Chesters wrote:
> fluidsynth works very nicely for me but eats 100% CPU from the moment
> I start it up, using
>
>    fluidsynth -m alsa_seq -s /usr/local/share/mustheory2.sf2
>
> , even before I start any clients (and well before I play any sounds).
> Is this normal?
>
> Many thanks,
> William

I've seen this with ALSA and the default plugin interface.  Try adding:
"-o audio.alsa.device=hw:0" which will use the raw interface instead of
the plugin interface.  I'm still not sure exactly why that occurs (I did
trace it down to some ALSA lib functions), but I've noticed that the
Jack server uses hw:0 by default.  I'm thinking of switching FluidSynth
to do that as well.
        Josh Green