Re: XG programChange -- Was: Re: [fluid-dev]

From: Peter Gebauer
Subject: Re: XG programChange -- Was: Re: [fluid-dev]
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:16:01 +0100

Heya Jimmy!

I've found and read the manuals, my piano has two modes of operation: GM or
XG, by default XG is on. Setting it to GM will actually change the local
DSP settings to ignore XG-specific effects. Ideally, I'd like to retain XG
mode on my piano, but let fluidsynth interpret them as simple GM program
change messages.
I've seen a few patches for GS (Roland), but none for XG and I've yet to
come across a complete spec. Seems like most hackers just reverse enginere
it.

I do realize that there might be patent complications or similar, which
is why I was looking to write code that doesn't really handle XG, but simply
extracts whatever it needs to change the program number based on XG
messages, not really implementing XG as such.

As it is, writing "prog # #" is easy enough, I'm not sure I want to spend
hours reverse engineering XG to get the program change support. :/
Anyway, thanks for your answer!

Best regards, Peter