[fluid-dev] FluidSynth 1.0.9 release (was Re: Patch for bad MIDI timing

From: Josh Green
Subject: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth 1.0.9 release (was Re: Patch for bad MIDI timing (with large buffer sizes))
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 19:37:33 -0700

Hello David,

First off I'd like to say, thanks for your work in this area of
FluidSynth.  Its been a long time wish of mine to be able to render MIDI
files to audio, in a faster than realtime fashion and with the same
output every time.  This patch looks like the right direction to realize
this.

On Sat, 2009-03-14 at 21:50 +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
> > * fluid_player_join() must be fixed.
>
> My alternate implementation of that one should work (does anybody know a
> sleep function for macos 9?). Actually it was the comment that misled me

Personally I don't think we should worry about Mac OS 9 anymore.  I'm
not even sure the current FluidSynth works on Mac OS 9.  If someone out
there is using Mac OS 9 with FluidSynth, please speak up.

> > * Ensure that the MIDI rendering ends before the last audio block has been
> > sent to the output device. It would need even some additional time if there
> > is some reverb or other effects applied.
>
> I assume that should read as "Ensure that the MIDI rendering DOES NOT
> end...". Anyway, I see this as a separate issue unrelated to my patch. I
> reinstalled fluidsynth 1.0.8 from the Ubuntu archives and got a working
> -i switch, and confirmed that the issue is present there as well (the
> program quits too early, especially with a large audio.period-size).

It seems like handling this properly would mean waiting for all voices
to terminate after the last MIDI note, plus some extra time for reverb.

> // David

A FluidSynth release is long overdue.  I already let the tentative date
of March 9th slip.  I'm buried in work right now, so I've had very
little time to put into any free software projects.

This patch seems like a pretty fundamental change, though good one.  Its
tempting to try and include it in 1.0.9.  If there was a build time or
runtime option to select this new timing source, that would be ideal.

Cheers.

        Josh