Re: [fluid-dev] Patch for bad MIDI timing (with large buffer sizes)

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Patch for bad MIDI timing (with large buffer sizes)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 13:25:27 +0100

Bernat Arlandis i Mañó wrote:
> Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas escrigué:
> > For the record: the MIDI file player and the MIDI sequencer are two
> > different interfaces of FluidSynth. They are implemented independently,
> > though the player could be reworked to use the sequencer as a backend
> > (some day). But anyway, both functions need to play MIDI events on
> > schedule.
>
> Where is the MIDI sequencer interface used?  It looks like something
> that belongs to the Jack MIDI server.

fluidXtra, by Antoine Schmitt is using this interface
http://www.schmittmachine.com/fluidXtra.html

fluidXtra is listed in our applications page
http://fluidsynth.resonance.org/trac/wiki/Applications

there was a thread on January about this matter
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/fluid-dev/2009-01/msg00066.html

About your question: yes, Jack MIDI provides some sequencer functionality, but
it requires Jack audio daemon running, because it uses the Jack audio buffers
sample count for timing. Another available MIDI sequencer for Linux is the
ALSA Sequencer. There are some more sequencer engines for Linux and other
platforms.

Having a platform independent sequencer integrated in FluidSynth has obvious
advantages. It is a decision of the application developers to use it, or
something else.

Regards,
Pedro