Re: [fluid-dev] Patch for bad MIDI timing (with large buffer sizes)

From: Antoine Schmitt
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Patch for bad MIDI timing (with large buffer sizes)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 20:08:55 +0100

The fluidXtra (http://www.schmittmachine.com/fluidXtra.html) uses the sequencer extensively. And the fluidXtra has many users in the Adobe Director world, as it is the only free multipurpose sound engine available.

There is a IMHO bit complex API around the sequencer because we (Peter Hanappe and myself) initially designed it to be independent of the synth (it does not depend on fluid_synth.h), so that it could be usable outside of fluidsynth someday. This led to the seqbind.h file and the notion of sequencer 'client'. I think that as the sequencer will be made to depend on the slave timer, itself being dependent on the fluid synth, then we should simplify this sequencer API quite a bit. But we should not remove the fluid_sequencer_register_client function, as indeed it is important that other clients than the synthesizer may use the sequencer feature (the fluidXtra uses it for callbacks synchronized to the audio for example).