[fluid-dev] Soundfonts and their licensing (was: Preparing for 1.0.9 rel

From: David Henningsson
Subject: [fluid-dev] Soundfonts and their licensing (was: Preparing for 1.0.9 release)
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 17:42:58 +0100

About soundfonts, there is the fluid-soundfont-gm (and
fluid-soundfont-gs) that is in the Debian/Ubuntu repository, is licensed
under MIT, and sounds pretty good. It's quite large though (145 MB).
(Available for download at:
http://packages.debian.org/en/source/sid/fluid-soundfont )

It seems to me like neither Christian's GeneralUser_GS, nor the
VintageDreamsWaves-v2 (that comes with a SVN checkout) complies to
Debian's Free Software Guidelines, as they both restrict modification in
some way. So they will most likely be removed from the Debian package.

I know that Linux is bigger than Debian (and that Fluidsynth is bigger
than Linux!) and that other distributions are unaffected by this
limitation, I just wanted to add that point of view.

// David