Re: [fluid-dev] Soundfonts and their licensing

From: Bernat Arlandis i Mañó
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Soundfonts and their licensing
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 19:34:57 +0100

David Henningsson escrigué:
About soundfonts, there is the fluid-soundfont-gm (and
fluid-soundfont-gs) that is in the Debian/Ubuntu repository, is licensed
under MIT, and sounds pretty good. It's quite large though (145 MB).
(Available for download at:
http://packages.debian.org/en/source/sid/fluid-soundfont )

It seems to me like neither Christian's GeneralUser_GS, nor the
VintageDreamsWaves-v2 (that comes with a SVN checkout) complies to
Debian's Free Software Guidelines, as they both restrict modification in
some way. So they will most likely be removed from the Debian package.

I know that Linux is bigger than Debian (and that Fluidsynth is bigger
than Linux!) and that other distributions are unaffected by this
limitation, I just wanted to add that point of view.

// David
Distributing the RGD file shouldn't be a problem, and I don't think Christian wants to put a restrictive license on this file, this is not the same as the soundfont. I'm in favor of including it unless Christian is against sharing this file under the same license as the Fluidsynth project.

Whether the Vintage soundfont should be there is another point and I don't really mind.

--
Bernat Arlandis i Mañó