Re: [fluid-dev] midi player issues

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] midi player issues
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 23:07:08 +0200

Felix Krause wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using the fluidsynth library (current unstable Mac version from
> fink) and tested the midi file player. It behaves very strange:
>
> - fluid_player_set_loop doesn't seem to have any effect (I tried to
> set loop to 1, 5, negative values...).
> - fluid_player_set_bpm seems to set the bpm always to 0, no matter
> what bpm value I'm calling it with. This results in the first chord of
> the midi file being played forever. My application hangs if I call
> delete_fluid_player or fluid_player_join afterwards.
> - fluid_player_set_midi_tempo shows the same behaviour.

For reference. The units in fluid_player_set_bpm() are beats per minute. In
fluid_player_set_midi_tempo() the argument is given in microseconds per beat.
The default values are BPM = 125, MIDI tempo = 480000. There may be a bug in
the last function, where it calculates the deltatime value in milliseconds
per tick, using the player->division value assigned from the loaded SMF
header (division field). Can you compile FluidSynth in debug mode, and take a
look to the log output?

> - fludi_player_stop stops the midi player, but doesn't mute the
> currently playing notes. If I call fluid_player_start afterwards, the
> player doesn't output anything for exactly the amount of time it had
> played my file until I called stop. Then, it continues playing the
> file from the position I stopped it.
>
> Is this a bug? Or am I simply doing something awfully wrong?

As David said, you've found several unimplemented and/or broken functions.
Please, can you create tickets into the bug tracker?
http://fluidsynth.resonance.org/trac/report

Regards,
Pedro