Re: [fluid-dev] License trouble for Debian

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] License trouble for Debian
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 12:45:21 +0200

Bernat Arlandis i Mañó skrev:
> David Henningsson escrigué:
>> As part of adopting fluidsynth for Debian, I've run into license trouble.
> You shouldn't package every file in the developers repository, just what
> is needed and compatible. I recommend you to use the current package in
> debian as a starting point, it just packages the necessary files and
> should work straightaway with the current FS version.

I think you misunderstood me somehow. Files that are non-DFSG must be
removed from the upstream source tarball (that is, what you download
from savannah) and repackaged into a new source tarball before uploaded
to the Debian repository. The previous maintainer did not do this
properly and now I've got a release-critical bug that I must take care
of and repackage both 1.0.7 and 1.0.8 before I can continue to work on
releasing 1.0.9. :-(

To get back on topic, I'm not demanding that fluidsynth should be more
Debian-friendly in the future, but if we want, we should consider:

1) Removing the files in the sf2 directory. I don't understand why those
files are distributed with fluidsynth at all, and IMO they should be
removed.

2) Relicense the documentation under a DFSG-compatible license. (IMO:
This one is least important, as the documentation is available online
anyway.)

3) Add a proper license notice to doc/example.sf2 so we know who made
it, and under what terms we can use it.

// David