gnewsense-art

Re: [gNewSense-art] Query re Use of gNewSense Logo as Business Logo

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-art] Query re Use of gNewSense Logo as Business Logo
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 20:03:57 +0200

Luis Felipe López Acevedo wrote:
2011/4/8 Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden>
I assume you refer to the current "palm tree" logo. We have new artwork for
the upcoming release. Not that it matters much which you use, but I don't
remember Luis specifying a license for the new artwork. Luis, can you
comment?

The files in the tarball[1] have no licence yet, sorry. What license would
you consider better for this?

I had a chat about it with Karl Goetz.

I believe the themes are based on Clearlooks, which is GPLv2 or later. We could opt for GPLv3 there, but I see no reason to.

For the rest (logo and backgrounds) I think we should avoid anything that requires source (e.g. GPL). It's nice in theory, but in practice it just leads to questions I'd rather not spend time on. Karl suggested the Expat license: nice and simple, and we don't have to worry about combining it with other works. It's also what Debian use for the swirl [1]. If you prefer copyleft instead, then I suggest the Free Art license (I haven't looked at its compatibility in detail).

[1] http://www.debian.org/logos/#open-use

P.S.: Sorry for not getting back sooner. As it concerns artwork that we'll be identifying with for some time I preferred to take the time to read some licenses again.