guix-devel

Re: how to fix state-broken affected user services? (Re: GNOME 3.30: hel

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: how to fix state-broken affected user services? (Re: GNOME 3.30: help needed!)
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 11:04:14 +0100

Hi Giovanni,

>> Success!  GNOME 3.30 works just fine.  The gnome-shell segfaulted(!)
>> because of stale state
>
> this is one of the worst bugs a user can experience, and very few users
> are able to debug it properly (and experienced users like me find it
> very time wasting to debug them)

Yeah, it wasted a lot of my time.  Before upgrading to GNOME 3.30 I
built 3.28 and tested that with the same results.  Weeks later I
finished 3.30 only to hit the same problem.

It was only after Rene confirmed that this is actually working that I
even considered the possibility that some old state might be at fault
here.

> please Ricardo could you attach the relevant debug info?

I don’t have any debug info other than what I posted.  I didn’t look at
the files, but I might be able to recover them from backup.

> have you seen a related bug report upstream? (this is a seriuos bug,
> isn't it?)

I haven’t seen any bug reports about this.

--
Ricardo