guix-devel

Re: GNOME 3.30: help needed!

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: GNOME 3.30: help needed!
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2019 15:08:54 +0100

Hi Rene,

> I attach the configuration file.

Thanks.

>> I rebase wip-gnome3.30 on top of the master branch and reconfigured, but
>> I cannot get GNOME to start. I deleted the slim-service-type and added
>> (gdm-service) to my configuration.
>>
>> I moved ~/.xsession out of the way, but after logging in GNOME still
>> won’t start. Could you share your configuration file that you used to
>> successfully start GNOME 3.30?
>>

> * I use wip-gnome3.30 branch and then apply the mentioned patches!.
> * I do not use the .xsession file.
> * After testing and reconfiguring my system several times some files in
> `/var/lib` were outdated; and renamed '/var/lib` and then reconfigured my
> system.

I removed ~/.cache and ~/.config/gnome*, and I moved .xsession out of
the way, but I still cannot start GNOME.  GDM comes up fine, but after
inputing my credentials the mouse cursor skips to the bottom right
corner and then I’m thrown back into the GDM login screen.

There is nothing relevant in /var/lib, I think.

I’ve also tried to do this in a VM, but everything is terribly slow, so
I can’t get past the GDM login screen.

I’d be happy if other people could test this, too.  If you have
suggestions on how I could debug this, please do let me know.

--
Ricardo