Re: [Help-smalltalk] BLOX vs GTK

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] BLOX vs GTK
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 18:02:02 +0200

Paolo, are there any documents about Blox?
About it's concept, implementation. Any tutorial about creating gui applications in Blox?
Blox is quite easy to understand (look at the demos in browser/test.st for an example). The documentation taken from the source code is a decent reference.

The browser is another story. The model-dispatcher system is incredibly complicated and I never really unravelled it. Even the Namespace browser was mostly done by cut'n'paste'n'hope-it-works, I'm not very pleased to say...
It looks, that some widgets are not supported
in Blox, but are supported in GST GTK+ binding.
Though consider that the GTK+ bindings are inferior because they don't support Smalltalk models: for example, everything has to be a string to put it into a CList (or whatever it's called these days).
 - It save gst developer's time, cos there will be no need to
   create Blox adaptor every time the new widget will appear.
It will have less flexibility for the toolkit user though. It can be really useful to have wrappers that convert a Smalltalk model to a GTK+ model, or something like that.
- We can write relatively thin software layer (extension) on the top of GTK to provide same API (resp. API with same concept and ideas) as is available in VW and/or Smalltalk/X (which is really very easy to use and many
   smalltalkers are familiar with it and really love it).
I disagree, but... :-)